We are committed to protecting your privacy. We will only use the information that we collect about you lawfully (in accordance with the relevant Data Protection Acts).
We collect information about you for 2 reasons: firstly, to process payments if applicable, and second, to provide you with the best possible service.
We will not e-mail you in the future unless you have given us your consent, either explicitly, or by opting in to one of our email lists.
We will give you the chance to refuse (or unsubscribe from) any marketing email from us in the future.
The type of information we may collect about you includes:
- your name
- phone number
- email address
We will never collect sensitive information about you without your explicit consent. The information we hold will be accurate and up to date. You can check the information that we hold about you by emailing us. If you find any inaccuracies we will delete or correct it promptly. The personal information which we hold will be held securely in accordance with our internal security policy and the law.
Links to other websites:
Our website may contain links to enable you to visit other websites of interest easily. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
We may use technology to track the patterns of behaviour of visitors to our site. This can include using a “cookie” which would be stored on your browser. You can usually modify your browser to prevent this happening. The information collected in this way cannot be used to identify you.
You can browse websites with cookies switched off (and/or block third party cookies) by adjusting your web browser settings or preferences, however if you do so then our site may not function properly for you. You can also use your web browser’s settings or preferences to remove your cookies at any time, and some browsers will also have a setting that will enable them to be automatically deleted when you close it.
Some of our cookies are essential for our site to function properly and are not optional:
- PHPSESSID (set by “thepurposeofspecies.org”) is used by our website system to serve the right pages and information to the right visitor. It is deleted when you close your browser.
First Party Cookies
- We set five Google Analytics cookies: (that begin with ‘__utm’) so that we can have access to Google Analytics services. You can read more about Google Analytics on their site here, if you wish to see why we find it so useful. Google stores the analytics data, not us. Google collects information about how you got to our site, and how you moved around it, and further information on the data they collect is available at on their site here. We don’t gain access to personally identifiable information through Google Analytics, it merely provides us with trends and analysis.
Third party cookies
Third party cookies are cookies that are not actually set by our website, but are set by other websites via embedded components in our website. As such, you will need to refer to their own privacy policies for information about their information usage. We do not have access to or control over these cookies.
- YouTube sets third party cookies (under the domain name “youtube.com”) to track the number of viewers of videos and prevent viewing statistics fraud.
We will always use YouTube’s “Enhanced Privacy Mode” – This mode restricts YouTube’s ability to set cookies for a user who views a web page that contains a privacy-enhanced YouTube embedded video player, but does not click on the video to begin playback. YouTube may still set cookies on the user’s computer once the visitor clicks on the YouTube video player, but YouTube will not store personally-identifiable cookie information for playbacks of embedded videos using the privacy-enhanced mode.
- Two sets of cookies are set by Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk, if you access our Resources page, which showcases books available on Amazon. This is track where people initiated the search or purchase of a book. We have no access to any of this information, which is stored and used by Amazon alone.
- Various cookies are set by a Social Media sharing tool, Shareaholic.com ; these are are set under the domains “shareaholic.com”, “w55c.net” and “adnxs.com”. Social media sharing statistics do not store any personally identifiable information. Google also uses these statistics to rank this website’s popularity.
If you have any questions/comments about privacy, you should contact us.